Tuesday, May 13, 2008

In Search of a Safe"er" Sunscreen

Well the great weather has hit and I was confronted with the dilemma of what sunscreen to use on the kids. I knew I wanted it to be phthalate and paraben free but other than that I didn'tknow what else I needed to be looking for, well lets just say that I have had a crash course education in sunscreens this last week!





The first place that I went was the Environmental Working Group Cosmetic Database, I have to admit this was helpful but also somewhat overwhelming. I narrowed my choices down to California Baby SPF 30+ Sunscreen Lotion No Fragrance and Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen. Then I started my search for these products locally. Well this was easier said then done; I finally found California Baby at several local health food stores, but wasn't able to find Badger anywhere locally. In my search for these two sunscreens I realized how few sunscreen options are available on the local level.

I have finally decided on California Baby SPF 30+ Sunscreen Lotion No Fragrance. The biggest reason for this decision is that it has no scent. The Badger doesn't have fragrance in it either, it's just that after smelling the Badger (a girl friend of mine bought some) I just don't think that I would like it all over my kiddos. It's not that it smells bad, it's just a strong essential oil type scent that doesn't really work for me.

The California Baby SPF 30+ Sunscreen is thicker than mainstream sunscreens; this is because it is a physical barrier sunscreen and not a chemical barrier. When applied it leaves a slight ghostly white film. We have been using the California Baby Sunscreen now for almost two weeks and other than getting used to the slight white film on the skin, which does disipate after it soaks in and dries, I really like it. I like the fact that it is a safe sunscreen and that it has no fragrance.

Good luck to you all in your search for safe sunscreen. Be sure to check out the EWG Report on Sunscreen.

No comments: