Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Food Introductions

It appears that, in general, far less significance is placed on systematic food introductions for children. This seems to be a lost practice; some of my friends look at me like I am crazy when I say that I didn't give Allie peanut butter until she was three or that I just give Jack egg yolks (until he turns one). Perhaps there is a reason we have so many food allergies in children today. I can not remember even one friend growing up that was allergic to anything, however, this year in my first grade class I had two students with numerous food allergies, some of which are life threatening. I am not suggesting that anyone caused an allergy; I just think that we need to be more conservative in our food introductions. WholesomeBabyFood.com has a great chart that shows when foods should be introduced by the babies age. This is a great list to print out and take with you to your pediatrician for discussion.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I totally agree. I think that certain foods also contribute to behaviors, sleeping patterns, immune issues and the overall well being of a baby/toddler. I should have paid more attention to my daughter lily.. She should have never been introduced to sugar.. SHE is a different child at the age of 3 when she is eating things with sugar in them. It is all very interesting.. Any other thoughts??